Do you know how many times per week we hear people say: “I just have arthritis in my knee, there’s nothing I can do about it” or “The surgeon just said to wait until it gets bad enough and then have a knee replacement”?
Our team of Physiotherapists at Aushealth Physiotherapy run a knee arthritis program for anyone with knee pain due to arthritis. This program gets great results for our patients, often helping them put off or avoid surgery altogether.
We would like to tell you about one of our 84 year old patients in particular who arrived to our clinic limping due to her left knee pain. She was barely able to walk, let alone play golf (her passion). After undertaking our knee arthritis program for 12 weeks, she had a significant reduction in pain and was able to gradually return to playing golf. Now 6 months later, she is almost pain free and playing 18 holes of golf without a cart! (She also walks 4kms every day when not playing golf). This patient had been advised to have a knee replacement but given the results she achieved, is not even considering one now.
This case highlights why it’s so important for you to be seeing a Physiotherapist for knee arthritis. There is so much evidence supporting Physiotherapy treatment for reduction in knee pain and improved function in patients with knee osteoarthritis. There is also evidence supporting improved post-operative outcomes following a total knee replacement by undertaking Physiotherapy prior to surgery.
What treatment is involved in the Knee Arthritis Program?
- A comprehensive subjective, objective and functional assessment of the knee and lower limb biomechanics.
- A review of the patients’ relevant scans
- Hands on treatment to reduce knee swelling and improve knee range of motion
- Exercise based therapy to improve knee and whole lower limb mobility and strength in order to help the patient achieve their functional goals
- A step by step, patient centred rehabilitation plan involving Physiotherapy and/or hydrotherapy sessions over 3-4 months.
So, if you are suffering with knee pain due to arthritis – you can do something about it. Give our clinic a call on 9905 0048 or click this link to make a booking online and arrange an initial consultation to see how we can help you.